Dynamics 365 for Finance & Operations and AX: What are the differences?
What is the difference between the two? Simple answer is BRANDING! But there are huge functionality changes and updates so we can’t overlook the fact this was a great move for Microsoft!
In July 2017, the most recent version of Dynamics AX was released and branded as Dynamics 365 for Finance & Operations.
So, let’s look at some of the main differences between Dynamics AX and Dynamics 365 F&O:
- The biggest difference between Dynamics AX and Dynamics 365 is the infrastructure the systems are built on. The new version provides a cloud-based ERP solution hosted by Microsoft Azure whereas AX is primarily a desktop-based application with some web and mobile add-on components. This means that Dynamics 365 can be used anywhere from any device as long there is an internet access – improving accessibility.
- The new interface means that the new design improves the user experience encouraging collaboration with other users. The interface can be customised to personalise users’ homepages with colours and default start pages.
- Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations can also be integrated with parts of the Dynamics 365 brand such as CRM, Power BI and Office 365 apps meaning that businesses get an end-to-end business solution. Dynamics AX could not be integrated with other products and therefore had to be used separately.
- Dynamics 365 has improved reporting and business intelligence as a result of access to artificial intelligence-powered analytical services, and more-comprehensive sets of business data.
- The cloud-based solution also means that new developments and fixes are more regular – saving time because there’s no need to wait for updates.
- The licencing model for Dynamics 365 is different to AX, the flexible pricing model means that users can save money on user and device licenses.
- It should also be considered that Dynamics AX will be become outdated due to Microsoft focusing their attention on Dynamics 365. Microsoft have also scheduled Dynamics AX mainstream non-paid for support will end late 2021.
Now that you know the main differences between AX and D365 and the improved functionality, the decision to switch to Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations from Dynamics AX will be beneficial to most businesses. All upgrade projects are unique in their complexity and cost. Whether the time is right for you will depend on the circumstances of your business and data privacy requirements or security needs.
Pearson Carter are Microsoft Dynamics 365 Recruitment Specialists and have a team of Dynamics AX / D365 Professionals who work with Permanent/Contact D365 Specialists who could help understand the business impact of an ERP upgrade.
For more information Contact us on 0191 406 6111 drop us an email on [email protected].